Motorcycle Training – FAQs

Motorcycle Training – FAQs

Do I need to take the Theory Test?

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle, unless you have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

You do not need to pass a Theory Test to take a CBT but you must have a good knowledge of the Highway Code or your instructor could refuse to take you out on the road for Element E.


How long is the Theory Test pass valid?

The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for two years. Both modules of the practical test must be passed within this period otherwise the Theory Test will have to be taken again.


What are the different types of full motorcycle licences?

There are four types of full licence to aim for and two routes to a Cat A licence:

  • A moped licence (AM) Aged 16 or over. Tests must be taken on a moped no more than 50cc and below 4kW. Rider can then ride mopeds with speed range of 25 km/h to 45 km/h, Small 3-wheelers (up to 50 cc and below 4 kW) and light quadricycles (weighing under 350 kg, top speed 45 km/h).
  • A light motorcycle licence (A1) Aged 17 or over. The practical tests must be taken on a bike of between 120cc and 125cc. Riders can then ride light motorcycle up to 11 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.1 kW per kg) and 125 cc and motor tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW.
  • A medium motorcycle licence (A2) Aged 19 or over. The practical tests must be taken on a bike of over 395cc and between 25kW and 35kW. Rider can then ride a motorcycle up to 35 kW.
  • A large motorcycle licence (A) (accelerated access) Aged 21 or over (rider must have held full A2 licence for two years) The practical tests must be taken on a bike at least 595cc with a power output of at least 40kW. Rider can now ride unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW
  • A large motorcycle licence (A) (DAS, direct access) Aged 24 or over. The practical tests must be taken on a bike at least 595cc with a power output of at least 40kW. Rider can now ride unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW

And a valid theory test certificate is required for every test unless progressing through catagories by accelerated access.

A2 power bikes. There is a large range of bikes that meet the 35kW restriction as standard and there are also limited power versions of more powerful bikes available from most manufacturers. Restriction kits are also available for a wider range of older and modern machines, however an A2 motorcycle mustn’t be derived from vehicle who's standard power is 70kW or over.


Is everyone required to pass a Compulsory Basic Training Course (CBT)?

You will need to complete a CBT if:

  • You want to ride a motorcycle.
  • You want to ride a moped.

However, if you obtained your car licence before February 1, 2001, you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.


Is there ample space for the bike training?

Every approved training body must have an area at least 223m2  to conduct two CBT's. Our motorcycle training centre has the largest sole purpose training area in the country at over 3000m2 and has its own road layout featuring a roundabout and junctions for you to practice on before going out on the road.


What if I don’t complete the CBT course on the day it’s booked?

Should your CBT run over to a second day, Scotriders will bring you back in on the first available Monday we have free of charge, however, should you request any other day than a Monday to complete your CBT, you pay £100.00 for your Instructor, payable on the day of your continued CBT. This must be either booked on the day of initial CBT training or the next working day to take advantage of this offer... there are no exceptions.


Who are the main motorcycle training instructors?

The main instructors are Alan Kelly and Pete Watkins, who have more than 80 years’ bike riding experience between them. Both are Cardington DVSA-Qualified Instructors. Alan is also a DVSA Registered Post-Test Motorcycle Trainer.


What are the main elements of the CBT course?

The CBT course syllabus includes five elements that have to be completed in sequence:

  • Element D - Practical on-road training.
  • Element B - Practical on-site training.
  • Element A - Introduction.
  • Element C - Practical on-site riding.
  • Element E - Practical on-road riding.


How long is the CBT certificate valid?

A DL196 certificate entitlement lasts for two years.  CBT will have to be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two-year certificate life.

For moped entitlement only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 after passing your car test, the certificate is valid for as long as your car licence.

Please note that this applies to mopeds only ... the DL196 only remains valid for two years for riding motorcycles as a learner.


After completing the CBT course, do I require more training?

Once you have successfully completed the CBT, you are advised to take additional training to pass your tests and qualify for a full motorcycle or moped licence.


How much pre-test motorcycle training might I require?

Various factors will influence how much pre-test training you require including but not limited to previous experience of riding motorcycles / push bikes, driving cars, having your own machine etc. We will tailor the training to your needs.


I haven’t ridden a motorcycle for years. Should I take training?

The differences between the bikes you used to ride and today’s bikes can be astounding. So a refresher course is a very good idea … think of it as developing the riding abilities you already possess.


What is the Enhanced Rider Scheme?

The Enhanced Rider Scheme (ERS) is assessment and training designed for fully licensed motorcyclists who would like to improve certain areas of their riding skills.


Does the ERS offer any other benefits?

As well as developing new skills, you can also get discounts up to 17% with the majority of motorcycle insurance brokers.


Do I need my own protective clothing?

We would recommend having your own protective clothing but understand that those trying motorcycling for the first time may not want to spend a lot of money on something they may not take to. To help with that we have a good selection of helmets, gloves and waterproofs for use while training we also have a limited supply of boots and jackets but would recommend you wear sturdy boots, jacket and trousers. Not trackies, trainers and hoodies.


Do I need to read the Highway Code before taking CBT?

Yes, having a good knowledge of the Highway Code before coming along for CBT will make the whole experience more enjoyable (and safer) for you. We will ask you some questions before heading out on the road, if we feel your knowledge of the highway code is lacking we will not take you out on the road and we will charge you to come back and finish the course.


Can I book training via email?

It is much easier for us to book training over the phone, there is no delay in confirming dates and times, we can get the information we need from you, pass on what you need to know and we can also answer your queries.


I get the answer machine when calling?

If you don't get an answer when calling it is possible we are on another call, however if you leave your name and number we will call you back as soon as we are free and always aim to return your call within one working day.

What our customers say

  • Brilliant training centre ran by fantastic people. Alan has patience of a saint and gives fantastic instruction and tuition.

    Murray Clark
  • Fantastic place to do your CBT, good clear instructions, goes at a pace that suits you (even if you do take a little longer for it to sink in) very patient! Definitely recommend to anyone who is nervous about getting in control of a bike! Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

    Kirsty Richmond
  • Big thanks to all the guys at Scotriders for all the help to get my licence. Its the place to go, they are professional, helpful and friendly.

    Rhys Newell
  • Amazing! The only word that describes Scotriders, the most friendly and helpful couple you will ever meet.

    David Thomson
  • Guys a big thanks for all your help getting me through the mod 2!! Appreciated! All the best for the future.

    Mike McRitchie
  • Just wanted to thank Alan, Heather & Pete for your time, help and advice! Feels great to have passed! I'll keep in touch. Thanks again!

    Jamie Clarke (John Clark BMW)
  • Pete was very patient and helpful with me for my first time riding a bike and I also had very little road experience. He helped me stay calm and relaxed through the experience and we eventually got there. Thanks again!

    Brodie Toriati
  • Cheers for a cracking day on Saturday passing my CBT. Big thanks to Pete for making the day fun despite the usual Scottish Summer (read: loads of bloody wind and rain!) looking forward to getting a new bike and eventually getting rid of my L plates once and for all!

    Jamie Plommer
  • Cheers for today guys, the whole day was fantastic. You made everything very simplified even though I may have had to try on more than 1 occasion to do things.....was a pleasure...see you soon

    Darren Fleming (John Clark BMW Motorrad)
What our customers say